How can we help you?
We matched that to:
How do I make sure my Interac e-Transfer Security Question is strong and effective?
The Security Question is used to make sure the recipient of your transfer is the correct person or business.
If the recipient has not set up Autodeposit for the email or mobile number used for the transfer, a Security Question and Answer must be created by you and the recipient must correctly answer the Security Question to receive the funds.
If the question can't be answered correctly, you will be notified via email, the recipient will not be able to collect the funds, and the funds will be deposited back into your account.
Guidelines you should follow
- Create a question where the answer is a shared secret between you and the recipient. You must keep the answer confidential at all times.
- Make the answer hard to guess. Answers can be between 3 and 25 characters long and include letters and numbers. Spaces and special characters like @, # and $ can't be used.
- Contact the recipient over the phone or in person to make sure they know the answer and the correct spelling of the word.
Things you should not do
- DON'T create a question that can be answered by 'Yes' or 'No'.
- DON'T create a question that can be answered by doing research, such as a recent news event, sports event, geographic location, family name or names of relatives, birthdate etc.
- DON'T create a question that could be answered correctly with a few guesses.
- DON'T include the Security Question and/or Answer in the 'Message' field of the 'Send Money' transaction.
- DON'T share the Security Question and/or Answer electronically (e.g. email, text, social media, etc.).
- DON'T use the same Security Question and Answer for all your recipients
Remember the money is deposited to the account of the person or business who can access the Interac e-Transfer® and answer the Security Question correctly, even if that is not who you intended to receive the money.
If you prefer not to use security questions, you can encourage your recipients to set up Autodeposit. Once the recipient has Autodeposit setup, any money you transfer to them is automatically deposited into their account. Always make sure the name and recipient's contact information are correct as Autodeposit transactions can't be cancelled.
Please note that the answers to the questions are for information purposes only for the products discussed. Individual circumstances may vary. In case of discrepancy, the documentation prevails.