We matched that to:

How do I dispute a transaction?

We’re sorry to hear that you're having an issue with an unrecognized, unauthorized or incorrect transaction that has been posted to your account. We know it can be frustrating, and we want to make the process of disputing a transaction as simple and straightforward as possible. Here's what to do:

Step 1: Review your transaction using these tips to help identify unfamiliar transactions:

  • Review your receipts – If the date is unfamiliar, remember that transactions may appear a few days late, delayed, or may be amended after the date of purchase (at a hotel, for example). Sometimes merchants use different names or have an alternate company name than the one you recognize.
  • If the location is unfamiliar - Keep in mind that some merchants (airlines and large companies, for example) have offices or processing centres in multiple cities.
  • Look out for trial offer transactions – Sometimes trial offers automatically enroll trials into paid monthly subscriptions unless they are cancelled before the identified date.
  • Discuss it with the merchant directly – If you speak to someone who can review the transaction, like a manager or call centre, often they can correct the mistake and resolve the issue and/or give you a refund. Keep track of the dates and names, and key points or outcomes of any conversations for reference.
  • Consult with other card users or account holders –Transactions can be made by anyone authorized to use the card or account in question.
  • Understand the status – For Credit Cards, transactions may sometimes temporarily show under Pending and Posted at the same time. This has no effect on your Current Balance or Available Credit. TD can't assist you with a transaction dispute until the transaction has been posted.

Step 2: Talk to the merchant

Before you can dispute the transaction, you must first attempt to resolve with the merchant. Speak to a sales clerk or store manager and provide them with receipts and any other documentation you have. Often, they can correct the mistake and resolve the issue and/or give you a refund.

Step 3: Get started and provide us with details if you're unable to resolve it with the merchant

If you’re certain about disputing a Credit Card transaction, simply complete and submit a transaction dispute request within 30 days of the credit card statement closing date.

If your dispute is related to your TD Access Card, complete and submit a transaction dispute request within 30 days of the date you have received notice of the transaction as per your account agreement.

We will need to know any details you have about the issue, including dates, amounts, and any other information you have. This information will help us understand and put together the facts and details of your claim.

Some examples of situations where we can help you dispute a transaction are:

  • Refund not received – For missing refunds, because companies can take up to 15 business days to credit a refund‚ we can only begin our investigation after that time has expired.
  • Merchandise not received – You didn’t receive merchandise or services you paid for.
  • Canceled services still being charged Credit not received – A credit you were supposed to receive hasn't shown up on your statement.
  • Incorrect amounts charged – The amount of the transaction is wrong or you were charged for the same transaction twice.

Step 4: We'll investigate

As soon as we have all of your information, our dispute team can get started.

We will contact the merchant on your behalf, who may either acknowledge the error and refund your money or provide proof and/or information regarding the transaction. When this is the case you will have the opportunity to review what they provide.

We are obliged to give merchants 30 days to respond to an inquiry/request. During this time, you must continue paying your credit card bill in order to avoid being considered past due, which would negatively impact your account and credit. If the dispute is successful, you will be refunded.

Did we answer your question?

back to topTop